Skip to content

Using Yoast? “Your homepage cannot be indexed by search engines” – DON’T PANIC!

How to clear that worrying "Your homepage cannot be indexed by search engines" message from Yoast.

Using Yoast? “Your homepage cannot be indexed by search engines” – DON’T PANIC!

UPDATE 25/11/15: OnPage have reached out to ask us to link over to their special OnPage & Yoast FAQ page – which we’re very happy to do!

UPDATE 23/11/15: Well, Yoast SEO is now on version 3.03, so most problems should be resolved. If you’re still stuck, try https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wordpress-seo

UPDATE 18/11/15: Yoast have since released SEO version 3.01 that resolves this problem – just update as usual.

A flash new version of Yoast SEO has rolled out this morning and, for those of us who like to keep on top of updates, some will be seeing this rather surprising message:

Your homepage cannot be indexed by search engines

Your homepage cannot be indexed by search engines

Sounds scary, doesn’t it? And to make it worse, the link doesn’t go anywhere useful, just straight to Yoast’s homepage.

Don’t Panic

The error has been caused by Yoast adding in functionality to check your homepage with OnPage – read more here. Unfortunately, it adds the functionality but doesn’t check the status when installing. So the default is you’ve failed the test.

On your WordPress dashboard just scroll down to find the Yoast SEO Posts Overview widget and click the button “Fetch the current status”.

Click "Fetch the current status"

Click “Fetch the current status”

Moments later your red light should change to green and the scary little warning should disappear next time you refresh your dashboard.

Not Clever

So, nothing to worry about. But not very clever panicking all your users, Yoast!

Recent Posts

business-3070472_1280

Using Gmail to Access Other Accounts

fluff

Celebrating #Web30 with a blast from the past

colour-of-the-year

And the colour of the year is…

Get in touch

Talk to us about building your website

Posted in

22 Comments

1. Amandah Tayler Blackwell on November 18, 2015 at 12:54 pm

Thanks. I clicked the Analyze Current Site and all it did was take me to OnPage.Org where you have to sign up for a free account.

• Jonathan Gwyer on November 18, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Hi, Amanda,

Just click “Fetch the current status” – I’m guessing the entire site scanning will be a premium option!

• Amandah Tayler Blackwell on November 18, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Oops! It’s still early. 🙂 I clicked “Fetch the current status” and the button is green.

2. Cindy on November 18, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Thank you! Now tell me how you got this post indexed so quickly. 🙂

• chromaniac on November 18, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Google index regularly updated WP blogs fairly quickly.

• Jonathan Gwyer on November 18, 2015 at 4:29 pm

More luck than judgement 🙂

3. TipsterHQ on November 18, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Thanks, had me pulling my hair out for a bit.

• Marcin on November 18, 2015 at 2:10 pm

I had the same feeling 😀

4. Alan Artt on November 18, 2015 at 2:16 pm

I’m seeing a blue hyperlink warning about the Homepage but no Yoasts Post overview 🙁 Does it usually appear under the Yoast SEO menu on the LH side of the Admin panel?

5. George on November 18, 2015 at 2:20 pm

That help me! 🙂

6. Emma Tustian on November 18, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Argh, mine’s grey. Guess I’ll need to go to onpage

7. Nina Alexander on November 18, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Thank you so much!!!

8. The Book Disciple on November 18, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Thanks so much for this! I had no idea how to deal with this!

9. WordpressExamples on November 18, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Joost (Yoast) is actually coming with a fix tomorrow (Thursday) because there are more problems with the update (it screws up all websites built with the popular Divi Theme for instance).

• Jonathan Gwyer on November 18, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Ouch, that’s painful.

10. Stefan Guy on November 19, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Life saver! Thanks man,!

11. Lisa Sicard on November 21, 2015 at 10:59 am

Mine still does not work, I still get the error message? Also don’t know how to change snippet code or meta description with the new Yoast 🙁

• Jonathan Gwyer on November 23, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Hi, Lisa,

The latest updates should have fixed everything, although apparently you still may have problems if you use Wordfence / some security packages.

You should be able to edit the snippet information by clicking on it in the Yoast widget.

If you’re still stuck, try https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/wordpress-seo

Good luck!

12. Jonathan Gwyer on November 25, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Just a quick note to all our commenters (even though I’ve closed comments here now) – Hendrick from OnPage got in touch and asked if I could share a link through to their special OnPage & Yoast SEO FAQ.

Of course, I’m happy to!

13. techysucks on February 20, 2016 at 4:12 pm

I tried this solution and when I clicked on Fetch, refreshed my dashboard, the error is still there. The only way I could make that go away is to disable the “Enable OnPage.org indexability check”. I guess that won’t hurt? Also, I found a post by Chris from OnPage pointing Wordfence as a reason so he advised to “turn off the block fake google crawlers options in WordFence” so they can crawl. Hoping for the best result.. 🙂

• Jonathan Gwyer on February 22, 2016 at 12:25 pm

Good tip, thanks!

• my3sons on April 12, 2017 at 7:46 pm

This is the TIP that solved my problem! Thanks!